Thursday, November 29, 2012

No Pain No Gain


So recently I heard a report about a young girl with a rare genetic disorder known as anhidrosis. This disorder prevents its victims from being able to experience pain. Now, our first response may be, "wow, that would be awesome, a life with no pain." However, the effects are tragic. God made us with the ability to experience pain for a reason. Pain tells our bodies that something is wrong. Whether it be physical, emotional or spiritual, pain is actually a gift from God. Without it, we continue in a path of destruction without even realizing the outcome.


The process of being refined or being moulded are prime examples of beauty coming from intense discomfort. When being refined by fire, we feel we will burn before the process is completed, but clearly the Refiner knows how hot the temperature must be to produce the best and most beautiful results. When the Potter is spinning and kneading, and moulding, we feel as though we will never recover, but the Potter knows the perfect design and the beauty He is creating.




Surely none of us enjoy pain, discomfort or prodding, but if the end result is a life that reflects the beauty of the Lord, then surely we will look back and say it was worth it. Similar to the woman in childbirth that forgets her pain once she lays eyes on her precious little one.


As I pondered this idea of being thankful for pain, I realized that many of the greatest lessons I've learned and the most character defining moments in my life have come on the heels of immense pain in my life. I'm reminded of the weight-lifter's mantra, "No pain, no gain." God is able to use our pain to minister to others, which is a beautiful thing. 2 Corinthians 1:4 says, "He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." I find it so amazing that God can take the most shameful, embarrassing, humbling and painful experiences of our lives and bring hope, comfort and peace to the lives of others. Only God can do something beautiful like that!!!  I have been through a lot in my life and I find comfort in knowing the things I've suffered can be used for good, to bring hope and peace in the life of another.

And I will put this third into the fire, and refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are my people’; and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’” Zechariah 13:9

4 comments:

  1. Once again, I say thank you for all your wisdom that you share. I'd like to share this with my aunt-she has brain cancer, has had a kidney and heart transplant, and some days just doesn't see how amazing she is, or how much value she has. You too are an amazing woman and I'm so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. God is so good, how can I not share how amazing He is? Surely, feel free to share any of the posts at hesforeverfaithful. Love you!!!

      Delete
  2. I really like how you say "pain is actually a gift from God". That sounds like such a paradox, but it really is true when you analyze it as you did here. It's encouraging to remember. It reminds of a song lyric I really like, "They say that You make beauty out of ash, but something has to burn before You can." It's always worth the pain when God's working something in us and being glorified through it all! It also reminds me of a song by Tenth Avenue North called "Don't Stop The Madness".
    Here's the link if you'd like to listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqwsxJh-zI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Brian!!! Only God can make beauty from ash. AND love Tenth Avenue North and love this song. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Comments: